- We used to use mild physical punishments and shaming to control aberrant behaviors.
That was outlawed because it made kids into child abusers and destroyed their psyches.
- We used to make kids stay in from recess and after school to control aberrant behaviors.
That was outlawed because they needed their exercise and they can’t miss their bus.
- We used to make kids write sentences, copy dictionary pages, write on the board.
That was outlawed because it was not educationally sound.
- We used to isolate kids in the classroom by seating them by or behind the teachers desk.
That was outlawed because it was demeaning.
- We used to isolate kids in the halls .
That was outlawed because they were missing educational time.
- We used to put kids in both out of school and in-school suspension.
That was outlawed because of missing educational time.
- We used to have some effective discipline tools.
Now we have our personality.
8 We used to honestly express our anger with children when they misbehaved.
That was outlawed because it modeled aggressive behaviors.
9. We used to handle our own discipline problems in our own classroom.
That was outlawed because teachers are no longer trusted with their own classrooms.
10 We used to handle problems, one to one, teacher and child working together to solve issues
Now the office and the parents must be involved.
11, We used to solve a problem in a classroom and forget it.
Now it is recorded forever in the child’s and the teacher’s permanent record.
12. We used to believe it was the kids fault when they failed to learn.
Now it is the teachers fault because all modern kids are perfect.
13. We used to have recess twice a day at the elementary level and most everyone learned.
Now we have no recess because that is a waste of valuable teaching time.
14. We used to have fun activities on a weekly basis.
Now the fun is gone.
15. We used to give kids who wanted to learn, that opportunity through instilling discipline in those who did not.
Now even those who want to learn are denied that privilege because we cannot remove the distractions from their classroom.
16. We used to let kids leave the building at the bell, free to be children, no book bag, no homework, no stress and they learned
Now kids leave the school, in lines, with 40lb book bags and too often expectations of 2 hours at the kitchen table
17. We used to assign homework for a reason.
Now it seems that homework is assigned just “because.”
18. We used to have the time and the tools to make school a fun and productive experience for everyone.
Now we have no real discipline tools and hence often no discipline, no time, no fun and a failing system of education that seems to get worse every year. Is there a clue here somewhere? Am I living in the past, you bet, because on this issue the past has a lot to teach us!